Title: Model & Simulation Engineer II-NLR 01318
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required: Yes
National Aerospace Solutions (NAS), LLC is the team selected by the U.S. Air Force (USAF) to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment activities at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, in Tullahoma, Tennessee. NAS is committed to partnering with the Air Force and the workforce at AEDC to drive the change necessary to ensure the long-term viability of the Complex while ensuring mission success: no impact to customers, no loss in data quality, and no reduction in productive test time – ultimately securing AEDC's long-term future and world-class superiority in aerospace and flight testing.
Under the direction of an experienced Modeling & Simulation engineer, provide the following M&S engineering services:
Modeling and Simulation engineering
, in the mechanical / aerospace discipline for AEDC test units; in the execution of technology development of modeling and simulation (M&S) tools and applying the M&S tools to support capital improvement and maintenance projects –
Continuous improvement through support of:
- Responsible to analyze and identify deficiencies in existing computational fluid dynamics (CFD) codes; formulate, implement, and validate improvements to overcome those deficiencies; and develop new computational approaches in the areas of fluid-thermal chemistry, turbulence, numerical algorithms, and code-processing.
- Support the group of engineers and programmers to expand the computational fluid dynamic’s capabilities into the hypersonic regime by implementing and/or applying new algorithms and tools that account for combustion and high speed chemical reactions that will be required to simulate hypersonic vehicles flowfields and high temperature facilities. Evaluate, select, and apply engineering computations, techniques, procedures and criteria, in making adaptations and modifications.
- Perform work which involves the preparation, execution, and interpretation or review of aerodynamic computations using computational fluid dynamics codes for analysis of aerodynamic facilities.
- Engage the Technology Innovations Branch / Analytical & Science personnel as required to push for technological advances, facility improvements, advanced diagnostics, and complex problem solutions.
- Company initiatives and innovations
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering plus 2 years relevant experience or a master’s degree or post-graduate coursework with emphasis in computational engineering methods or Computational Fluid Dynamics applicable to aerospace systems.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of computational engineering methods and application of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tools to engineering problems
- Basic skill in programming languages such as C, C++, or Fortran, as well as scripting languages such as Python
- Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
To apply go directly to our website at www.http://nas-llc.us
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
- Possess an active DoD security clearance.
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering with specialized coursework in Computational Fluid Dynamics applicable to aerospace systems and 0-3 years of applicable experience, or a doctorate degree in mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering with specialized coursework in Computational Fluid Dynamics applicable to aerospace systems.
- Basic skill in oral and written communication
- Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction
- CFD skills with emphasis on modeling compressible, chemically-reacting flows in the subsonic, supersonic, and hypersonic flow regimes. Detailed knowledge of thermodynamics, combustion, and multidisciplinary modeling is preferred.
- Expertise in programming languages such as C, C++, or Fortran, as well as scripting languages such as Python.
- A combination of code "development" and "applications" skills ensures that the simulation tools in development / use are adequate to meet the needs for predicting fluid performance of complex hardware systems assessing anomalous behaviors of same. The ability to work in a team developing/applying complex CFD models is necessary.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.