: Linux System Administrator-1401
US Citizenship Required
National Aerospace Solutions (NAS), LLC is the team selected by the U.S. Air Force (USAF) to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment activities at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, in Tullahoma, Tennessee. NAS is committed to partnering with the Air Force and the workforce at AEDC to drive the change necessary to ensure the long-term viability of the Complex while ensuring mission success: no impact to customers, no loss in data quality, and no reduction in productive test time – ultimately securing AEDC's long-term future and world-class superiority in aerospace and flight testing.
NAS currently has an exciting opportunity available for a Linux System Administrator
to join our team at Tunnel 9 in Silver Spring, Maryland.
An exciting career opportunity exists for an experienced Linux System Administrator as a key member of a small team of engineers and technicians who operate and maintain the Air Force’s and Department of Defense’s primary high Mach number and high Reynolds number facility for hypersonic ground testing and the validation of computational simulations.
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC at the Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel No. 9 (Tunnel 9) located at the Silver Spring, MD site of AEDC. Tunnel 9 is a Geographically Separated Unit (GSU) of a larger organization and as a result many discrete functions are small in scale and accomplished with a smaller, more agile workforce than that of a large organization. Tunnel 9 provides aerodynamic simulation critical to hypersonic system development and hypersonic vehicle technologies at speeds from Mach 7 to Mach 18. Tunnel 9 is the highest Reynolds number, largest scale ground test facility in the world capable of simultaneously collecting continuous pitch polar static force and moment, pressure and heat transfer data during each run.
AEDC is the nation’s largest aerospace ground test facility complex that includes 58 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized test units. Twenty-seven of the test units have capabilities unmatched in the United States and 14 have capabilities unmatched in the world. Using its ground test facilities, AEDC supports propulsion, aerodynamic, reentry, trans-atmospheric and spaceflight systems testing.
NAS is committed to partnering with the Air Force to ensure the long-term viability of the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC) while ensuring mission success, ultimately securing AEDC’s long-term future and world-class superiority in aerospace and ground testing.
Perform the role of a Linux System Administrator with the primary responsibility for oversight, administration, operation, and enhancement. The candidate will work as part of a team who operate, maintain, and upgrade the networks and computer systems supporting the Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel No. 9. Must possess or be willing to obtain a DoD Secret Security Clearance and CompTIA Security+.
- Serve as system administrator for all Linux-based servers and workstations related the operation of the facility with direct responsibility for:
- Server, workstation and storage system operations, upgrades and enhancements to meet current and future end-user and facility requirements
- System backup hardware, applications and processes
- System security configuration and monitoring
- Support, maintenance, repair, and installation of workstations and servers, peripheral equipment, and software applications.
- Provide secondary network administration support for Linux and Windows based workstations and servers, printers, and other peripheral IT equipment related to the operation of the facility.
- Works with the Information Assurance Manager to ensure compliance with information assurance regulations and best practices
Job Duties (continued):
- Adhere to all safety, security and other company and Air Force policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as required that may or may not be IT-related as assigned in support of facility operations
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems, or other IT related field plus three (3) to six (6) years of progressive and relevant work experience or any equivalent combination of relevant education and progressive and relevant experience.
- Current US Citizenship
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
- Specific experience working as a Linux System Administrator including:
- Installation, Configuration, and Troubleshooting of Linux-based operating systems
- Configuration and Application of security policies and templates for system hardening
- Configuration, Monitoring, and Tuning of server applications and performance
- Storage Management and Services, including RAID, LVM, NFS
- Scripting environments and shell scripts
- Experience with Linux based hardware and systems.
- Experience with troubleshooting, repairing, specifying, and upgrading networking and computer hardware.
- Security + or equivalent certification
- Experience in installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of SUSE, Sun Solaris, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 operating systems.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of networking hardware.
- Experience with firewall hardware and software, including generating and implementing rules for network security and hardware requirements definition and configuration.
- Experience with network switches, router hardware, and router software.
- Knowledge of the TCP/IP model.
- Experience with network services such as DNS, DHCP, LDAP, NIS, Apache, and Tomcat.
- Experience with HPE switches, routers, servers, and mass storage systems.
- Experience with management of multi-faceted projects and requirements definition based on end-user inputs.
- Active Secret Clearance
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.