Job Title: Instrumentation Engineer I NFAC
Department/Branch: Mission Execution/NFAC
Functional Branch: Engineering
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Grade Level: 32
An exciting career opportunity exists for an entry-level Instrumentation Engineer supporting a team of engineers and technicians conducting tests in the largest wind tunnel in the world.
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test Operations and Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), National Full-scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) at Moffett Field, CA. The NFAC provides the United States with the capability of performing ground-based aerodynamic and acoustic experiments at speeds from static to nearly 350mph on large-scale and full-scale aerospace vehicles and components. This complex includes a 40- by 80-foot Wind Tunnel and an 80- by 120-foot Wind Tunnel.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground test and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
Under the guidance and direction of an experienced engineer:
- Work will be performed at the National Full-Scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) located at Moffett Field, California.
- Help define, design, and setup instrumentation systems in the NFAC test facility.
- Evaluates, selects, and applies standard instrumentation engineering methods, techniques, and criteria to support wind tunnel tests.
- Interfaces with test customers to establish test requirements to allow for instrumentation/data-acquisition configuration design, setup and documentation.
- Provides installation and checkout support during testing.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains customer test article instrumentation systems.
- Performs system maintenance, calibrations, upgrades, and documentation of facility instrumentation systems.
- Helps create scope, requirements, schedules, and design drawing packages for test instrumentation (AutoCAD experience desirable).
- Works closely with customers and test team to establish design requirements to meet test objectives and implement modifications for a successful entry in the wind tunnel.
- Stay abreast of new measurement techniques and processes.
- Helps coordinates work activities of NFAC technicians and outside contractors.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in electrical, mechanical, aeronautical, or aerospace engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Current U.S. citizenship required.
To apply go directly to our website at https://nas-llc.us/careers
- Experience in aerospace test facilities or with instrumentation/data acquisition systems is desired.
- Developmental experience with transducers, sensors, electrical circuits, signal processing, and data acquisition systems used to measure temperature, pressure, force, flow, acceleration, vibration, and other physical phenomena common to aerospace systems testing.
- Coursework or experience in the design or application of sensors used to convert physical phenomenon into electrical signals
- Coursework or experience in signal processing and analysis methodologies
- Coursework or experience in analog and digital filtering methodologies
- Coursework or experience in application of Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog conversion methodologies
- Coursework or experience in the integration of sensors, signal conditioning, filtering, A/D conversion, etc. in the measurement of physical phenomenon
- Coursework or experience in the development and/or application of Instrumentation and Data Acquisition software
- Coursework or experience in the analysis of measurement uncertainty
- Coursework or experience in the calibration of instrumentation
- Excellent communication, documentation, and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction. The working environment is highly dynamic and will require managing several different projects simultaneously.
- Position will be surrounded with a staff of technicians and engineers of varying disciplines, so the ability to work well and effectively communicate with others is critical.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.