Title: Mechanical Design Engineer - 1495A (2 positions)
Function: Technology Innovations
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required: Yes
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
Exciting career opportunities exist for Mechanical Design Engineer roles within Design Engineering.
Mechanical Design Engineers
design, evaluate, analyze, and assist in the fabrication and installation of hardware across the complex, including process piping systems, drive systems, mechanisms, and test hardware. Mechanical design engineers work closely with test and system engineers in development of design requirements and ensuring proposed designs meet those requirements. Close coordination with manufacturing is required to ensure economic and feasible designs.
Typical assignments for each position may include:
- Independently perform complex analysis and design of components, systems, and facilities.
- Check complex analysis and design originated by less experienced engineers.
- Develop concepts for new piping systems and provide flow, flexibility, thermal, structural, or any other required analysis to support the proposed design.Evaluate the analysis results for suitability relative to applicable codes and standards.
- Develop concepts for new hardware and provide thermal, structural, flow, structural/stress analysis, possibly including vibration analysis, or any other required analysis to support the proposed design.Evaluate the analysis results for suitability relative to applicable codes and standards.
- Structural design and analysis of pipe supports, platforms, and other structural support members.
- Fatigue analysis of metal and composite materials for facilities, test systems, and process systems.
- Designing one-of-a-kind of mechanisms, wind tunnel models, and test fixtures including associated stress analysis.
- Designing one-of-a-kind of test hardware including stress analysis of complex or unique geometries such as blades or flexures or thermal-structural stress analysis at state-of-the art thermal conditions.
- Provide engineering support to the appropriate craft workforce to facilitate maintenance and repair of existing systems.Evaluate existing hardware for safety, security and potential for improvement.
- Work with the design team (drafters, checkers, etc.) to produce complete design packages, including detailed drawings, analysis reports, and equipment specifications, and be capable of communicating the details of these design packages to the remaining project team (system engineers, test engineers, project managers, craft supervisors, etc.)
- Serve as responsible engineer/point of contact for the Design Engineering support to a complex, multi-year projects.
- Coordinate with the appropriate system engineer, craft supervisor, and/or work planner to ensure that hardware is fabricated and installed in accordance with the approved design package.
- May serve as Team Lead (typically >5 members) conducting complex analysis and design of components, systems, and facilities.
- Serves as an expert on Design Engineering execution, providing coaching and guidance to the rest of the team.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in physics or engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 7 to 10 years of progressive and relevant engineering experience.
- Current US Citizenship required
To apply go directly to our website at www.http://nas-llc.us
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and construction methods and materials, and application of computer aided engineering (CAE)/computer aided design (CAD) tools to engineering problems.
- Good knowledge of major industry or regulatory standards and design criteria pertinent to the structural design.
- Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Basic skill in oral and written communication.
- Experience with the design of complete piping systems including pumps, valves, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, and other related equipment.
- Experience performing flow and flexibility analysis of complete piping systems.
- Experience developing equipment specifications.
- Experience reading, interpreting, and creating detailed fabrication and installation drawings.
- Experience designing high energy / high temperature cooled structures including nozzles and ducts.
- Experience performing stress and thermal analysis.
- Experience with fluid flow and heat transfer.
- Experience use finite element analysis (FEA) software
- Experience reading computational fluid dynamic (CFD) software outputs and applying to stress models.
- Experience designing forced and convective cooling systems including cooling passages.
- Experience designing structures, ducting, fixtures, and supports
- Experience with interactions with fabrication and machine shops.
- Working understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Familiarity with wind tunnel model design and fabrication
- Familiarity with turbine and rocket test cells, wind tunnels, space chambers, and/or arc heater facilities; or other industry product test facilities is desirable.
- Experience with injection mechanisms
- Experience with positioning and control systems
- Experience with prototyping and checkouts
- Experience working as a project team.
- Familiarity with ANSYS FEA software package
- Familiarity with Autodesk Inventor CAD software