Job title: Wind Tunnel Test Data Analyst/Engineer - NFAC
Department/Branch: Mission Execution/NFAC
Functional Branch: Engineering
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Grade Level: 33/34
An exciting career opportunity exists for a Wind Tunnel Test Data Analyst/Engineer supporting a team of engineers and technicians who maintain and operate the largest wind tunnel in the world.
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test Operations and Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), National Full-scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) at Moffett Field, CA. The NFAC provides the United States with the capability of performing ground-based aerodynamic and acoustic experiments at speeds from static to nearly 350 mph on large-scale and full-scale aerospace vehicles and components. This complex includes a 40- by 80-foot wind tunnel and an 80- by 120-foot wind tunnel, the largest wind tunnels in the world. The wind tunnels are used for aerodynamic and acoustic tests of rotorcraft and fixed wing, powered-lift V/STOL aircraft, parachutes, road vehicles, jet engines, and developing advanced technologies for these vehicles and systems.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground test and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
This is an engineering role comprised of wind tunnel data acquisition system preparation and data analysis in a cross-functional, multi-disciplined team working closely with test customers, test directors, instrumentation engineers, and data system technicians to accomplish the test mission.
- Interface with test customers and test directors to establish requirements for the data system and data analysis tasks.
- Configure the data system and develop software programs to meet test data acquisition requirements. Prepare associated documentation and procedures.
- Guide the preparation and checkout of the test instrumentation through the data acquisition system and perform validation of the test measurements. Instrumentation includes various pressure and temperature sensors, strain gauges, accelerometers, microphones, and photogrammetry.
- Perform data analysis, including associated code development, to ensure data quality.
- Validate test data against test objectives and prepare data analysis reports.
- Evaluate opportunities for data acquisition capability upgrades and support strategic asset planning to maintain or improve current capabilities.
- Perform other related duties as required, including, but not limited to, instrumentation and data systems configuration design and planning, and test article performance and stability predictions.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in Aerospace, Aeronautical, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science (or a closely related discipline) plus 1 to 3 years of relevant engineering experience in data acquisition and analysis.
To apply go directly to our website at https://nas-llc.us/careers
- M.S. degree in Aerospace, Aeronautical, or Mechanical Engineering (or a closely related discipline)
- Familiarity with wind tunnel test techniques and measurement systems.
- Experience with code development and data visualization.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable in a highly dynamic working environment managing several different projects simultaneously.
- General knowledge of test and evaluation.
- Willingness to learn and expand technical understanding of wind tunnel test techniques and measurement systems.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.