: Electrical Engineer II - Tunnel 9 - 1872
US Citizenship Required
An exciting career opportunity exists for an experienced Instrumentation and Data System Engineer as a member of a team of engineers and technicians who operate and maintain the Air Force’s and Department of Defense’s primary high Mach number and high Reynolds number facility for hypersonic ground testing and the validation of computational simulations.
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC at the Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel No. 9 (Tunnel 9) located at the Silver Spring, MD site of AEDC. Tunnel 9 provides aerodynamic simulation critical to hypersonic system development and hypersonic vehicle technologies at speeds from Mach 7 to Mach 18. Tunnel 9 is the highest Reynolds number, largest scale ground test facility in the world capable of simultaneously collecting continuous pitch polar static force and moment, pressure and heat-transfer data during each run.
AEDC is the nation’s largest aerospace ground test facility complex that includes 58 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized test units. Twenty-seven of the test units have capabilities unmatched in the United States and 14 have capabilities unmatched in the world. Using its ground test facilities, AEDC supports propulsion, aerodynamic, reentry, trans-atmospheric and spaceflight systems testing.
NAS is committed to partnering with the Air Force to ensure the long-term viability of the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC) while ensuring mission success, ultimately securing AEDC’s long-term future and world-class superiority in aerospace and ground testing.
Perform the role of Instrumentation and Data System Engineer as a member of a small Electrical Engineering team supporting the operation, maintenance, and improvements to the tunnel, plant, and equipment associated with the Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel No. 9. This position covers many areas of responsibilities including data systems, instrumentation, calibrations, and electrical equipment.
- Provide system engineering functions to support wind-tunnel testing: specifically upgrading, troubleshooting, and maintaining wind tunnel-model and facility instrumentation and data acquisition systems.
- Take ownership of improvement projects and following through entire project lifecycle (planning, budgeting, scheduling, execution)
- The working environment is highly dynamic and will require managing several different projects simultaneously.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase the precision and reliability of facility operations, expand facility test capabilities, and modernize out of date systems.
- Responsible for system engineering and management of all of the data acquisition system, instrumentation and other electrical systems.
- Work closely with technicians and engineers in the field and in a hands on setting to predict performance, diagnose, and troubleshoot problems. Able to function with only general supervision over a broad range of electrical and electronic systems and applications. May require working in cramped or confined spaces on occasion.
- Wind Tunnel and Vacuum Compressor Plant pressure/temperature measurement, flow controls, safety systems, process controls, and data system.
- Willingness to learn facility engineering practices from experienced engineers and technicians on the team.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from an accredited engineering program and a minimum three (3) to five (5) years progressive and relevant engineering experience.
- Familiarity with circuit, elementary, and wiring documentation.
- Current US Citizenship is required.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
- Working knowledge of analog and digital data acquisition systems (filter, A/D and signal processing, etc.)
- Working knowledge of IT components of the data systems (PCs, servers, networks, etc.)
- Active Secret Clearance
- Master of Science degree or post-graduate coursework in electrical engineering from an accredited engineering program.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics and P&ID drawings.
- Technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and construction methods and materials, and application of computer aided engineering/computer aided design tools to engineering problems.
- Educational or work experience with database design and Microsoft Access.
- Work experience in an industrial-facility setting.
- Prior developmental experience (intern, co-op, technician, etc.) in design engineering or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering, or plant operations / maintenance in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or other engineering/construction firms.
- Interest in or experience with first aid, CPR, AED and first-responder emergency response.
- Educational concentration and / or work experience in medium voltage power, operation and maintenance of 480 to 13,800 volt power distribution systems, large A/C motors, and power-rectifier equipment.
- Experience in developing PLC based control systems and HMI systems; preferably Allen-Bradley and programming LabVIEW.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.