Title: ID&C Engineer - Control Solutions - 2031
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required: Yes
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
An exciting career opportunity exists for an Instrumentation, Data and Controls (ID&C) Engineer responsible for providing design engineering, development, implementation and upgrade services associated with deploying automated control systems in an aerospace ground test environment.
National Aerospace Solutions, LLC, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test Operations and Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), are offering this opportunity.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground test and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
An exciting career opportunity exists for an entry-level Controls Engineer with primary responsibility for developing, upgrading and maintaining:
- motion control systems for precision positioning of aircraft models in wind tunnels
- plant control systems to ensure delivery of specified test conditions
- facility and process control systems to measure and sustain test conditions
Controls Engineers will apply equations of motion, control theory, electronics and software skills to develop system requirements, specifications, and designs to perform those functions, while assisting in system installation and deployment.
Controls Engineers at AEDC are critical to the execution of the test mission. Specifically, duties for this entry level position include:
- Perform work, generally within Control System Engineering, which involves the preparation, interpretation or review of calculations, specifications, plans, investigations, surveys, structures, systems or equipment with relatively few complex features.
- Participate in one or more of the following:
- Development of system requirements
- Automated Control System design, development, and/or maintenance
- System design, including concept sketches and layouts
- Automated Control and Human Machine Interface (HMI) Software Development
- Preparation of specifications and design calculations
- Preparing designs, drawings and data under the supervision of a more experienced engineer
- Preparation of engineering studies and reports
- Preparation of material quantity estimates
- Uses engineering computer aided design/computer aided engineering (CAD/CAE) tools
- System troubleshooting and return-to-service
- System Verification and Validation Test Development/Execution
- Evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering methods, techniques, procedures and criteria, under the mentorship of senior engineering staff.
- Perform assignments, which have clear and specific objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables for Control System Engineering; supports the use of common work processes and procedures within assigned function across the TOS contract.
- Draft letters for replies to vendor correspondence.
- Monitor and meet applicable work schedules.
- Review design documents of equipment manufacturers or subcontractors of a low to moderate degree of complexity, and prepare comments and recommendations.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or mechatronics engineering from an accredited college or university (ABET accreditation preferred) and 0 – 3 years of relevant experience.
- Current US Citizenship required.
- Basic technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and construction methods and materials, and application of computer aided engineering (CAE)/computer aided design (CAD) tools to engineering problems.
- Developmental experience such as practical work experience in design engineering or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering, or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or other engineering/construction firms.
- Developmental experience in the control system theory and design concepts such as Controls Strategy and Algorithm Development, Math Modeling/Simulations, Calibration, Motion Controls, Process Controls, Process Instrumentation, Sequencing Systems, Robotics, Stability & Control, Servomechanisms, Systems Safety, Networks & Field Busses, Control System Optimization, Learning and Rule-based Systems
- Coursework or experience in the design or application of closed loop control systems
- Coursework of experience in feedback control systems
- Coursework or experience in the design of application of control systems using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Coursework or experience with proportional, integral, derivative (PID) control systems
- Coursework or experience developing control application and Human Machine Interface (HMI) software
- Education/experience with GE PLC’s, automation hardware, and related software is preferred.
- Active DoD Security Clearance
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.