Job Title: Test Operations Engineer (3 Positions) - 2143A
Department/Branch: Mission Execution/TBD
Functional Branch: Engineering
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Grade Level: 32/33
National Aerospace Solutions (NAS), LLC is the team selected by the U.S. Air Force (USAF) to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment activities at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex, Arnold Air Force Base, in Tullahoma, Tennessee. NAS is committed to partnering with the Air Force and the workforce at Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC) to drive the change necessary to ensure the long-term viability of the Complex while ensuring mission success: no impact to customers, no loss in data quality, and no reduction in productive test time – ultimately securing AEDC's long-term future and world-class superiority in aerospace and flight testing.
NAS currently has an exciting opportunity available for a Test Operations Engineer to join our team at Arnold Air Force Base in Tennessee.
Exciting career opportunities exist for Mechanical Engineers in roles within test operations in one of our ground test facilities at Arnold Engineering Development Complex. Most of our test operations roles involve some portion of system engineering as well. While these positions have some office work involved, the majority of the engineer’s time is spent in the field or test area. This position does require shift work to support testing as test load demands. Engineers who enjoy this type of work typically have some interest or experience with mechanical systems such as engines, compressors, pumps, gearboxes, etc. which may come from working on automobiles, farm equipment, or other machinery.
Test Operations Engineers
work closely with test managers and test customers on test project plans, scheduling, installation, and directing our contract’s test team throughout the test cycle. Test operations engineers also operate as system engineers for equipment within or directly providing support to the test facility and may engage in some small design and analysis tasks as needed.
Under the guidance and direction of an experienced Test Operations Engineer, provide the following engineering services:
- Work closely with the government and other contractors to develop the test and plant operational requirements (test period directives, plant run sheets, detailed run programs, etc.).
- Work closely with test customers as they design the test article, model, or test article support systems to ensure:
- The test article properly interfaces with the test unit / facility systems.
- The test article installation design allows for configuration changes to be performed as safely, quickly, and efficiently as possible.
- The test article mounts and/or model are structurally sound enough to withstand expected test conditions with adequate factors of safety.
- Direct plant and test system checkouts as required (after upgrades / capital improvement efforts, after system repairs, after long dormant periods, prior to using infrequently used capabilities, etc.).
- Direct the execution of test periods with respect to operating the facility and test article systems. This generally involves working with craft technicians in the test control room in operating the facility systems and test article, and interfacing with the plant operator on setting test conditions, based upon a test directive provided by the test customer and government test engineer. It requires the ability to respond quickly to alarms in fast paced, high pressure situations, ensuring the safety of the test crew, the facility, and the test article.
- Respond when systems malfunction during a test, troubleshooting and directing corrective maintenance activities (or calling in the appropriate systems engineer for additional support), ensuring a timely return to service.
- Write detailed work order tasks with attached drawings, permits, work instructions, baseline and test hazard analyses, etc. ensuring hardware and materials are ordered and staged on time and following the work progress in the field for facility reconfigurations, systems installations / modifications, maintenance,and test article installations.
- Support scheduling meetings and planning, including making inputs on required maintenance outages.
- Coordinate work with the appropriate area superintendent, craft supervisor, and / or work planner and provide technical leadership to the craft workforce in execution of work orders and operational / maintenance procedures (work instructions, WIs), Lock-Out / Tag-Out (LOTO), critical lifts, etc.
- Ensure proper test / operations reporting (Ops Center, test resumes, Operating Test Logs, Test Unit Status Logs, Test Article Activity Logs, unplanned event reporting, etc.).
- Perform facility chacterization/ calibrations, monitor facility performance, and maintain system capability / performance maps and envelopes.
- Evaluate mechanical, thermal, and electromechanical systems by applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, pneumatics, heat and mass transfer, and mechanics of materials
- Work with reliability engineers to develop maintenance schedules based on condition and health of equipment and ensure supply of materials (spares) required is available to maintain equipment operation.
- Perform root cause failure analyses and other equipment performance analyses when systems or processes fail and recommend remedial actions.
- Develop, document, and complete maintenance procedures, mechanical systems operating procedures, sequence of operations, advanced troubleshooting, system optimization, component and systems risk assessments, and energy conservation plans.
- Develop estimates for small improvement projects and test projects.
- Work with multidiscipline team of engineering staff solving problems and planning test projects.
- Being flexible to work extra hours or support off shift testing is required.
- Communicate clearly and utilize various methods of communication
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university and 0 to 3 years’ engineering experience.
- Current United States Citizenship is required.
To apply go directly to our website at www.http://nas-llc.us/careers
- A minimum of 2 years of developmental experience such as practical work experience in relevant types of engineering such as systems, field engineering, test operations, utilities, or other engineering/construction firms.
- Technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and construction methods and materials, and application of computer aided engineering (CAE)/computer aided design (CAD) tools to engineering problems.
- Working knowledge of major industry or regulatory standards and design criteria pertinent to the mechanical engineering discipline.
- Multi-disciplinary experience (electrical engineering, mechatronics, control systems, etc.) is a plus.
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Strong communication skills (including verbal and written)
- Demonstrated experience successfully building relationships with team across engineering and craft workforce
- Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Active Department of Defense Secret Security Clearance
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.