Title: Design Engineer – 2170
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test Operations and Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), National Full‐scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) at Moffett Field, CA. The NFAC provides the United States with the capability of performing ground‐based aerodynamic and acoustic experiments at speeds from static to nearly 350 mph on large‐scale and full‐scale aerospace vehicles and components. This complex includes a 40‐ by 80‐foot wind tunnel and an 80‐ by 120‐foot wind tunnel.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground test and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
An exciting career opportunity exists for a Design Engineer position supporting a team of engineers and technicians who maintain and operate the largest wind tunnel in the world.
Perform the role of Mechanical Engineer evaluating, selecting, and applying standard mechanical engineering methods, techniques, procedures, and criteria to support wind tunnel testing, facility operations and maintenance at the National Full‐Scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC). Perform work, generally within mechanical engineering, which involves the preparation, interpretation or review of calculations, specifications, plans, investigations, surveys, structures, systems or equipment.
- Responsibilities include:
- Mechanical design of wind tunnel model components and interface hardware;
- Developing design drawing packages (Solidworks/Autocad/Inventor experience desirable);
- Developing and reviewing hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis for mechanical, structural, and stress and dynamic analyses;
- Working closely with customer and test team to establish design requirements;
- Guiding design proposals through internal approval processes; project management of facility renovation projects through entire lifecycle (planning, budgeting, scheduling, execution, and close out);
- Coordination and supervision of NFAC technicians and outside contractors;
- Asset management of facility systems and subsystems;
- Troubleshooting, planning, executing and tracking repair work orders; and
- Supporting the institution of predictive maintenance principles.
- Evaluate opportunities for facility capability upgrades and support strategic asset planning to maintain or improve current capabilities.
- Hands‐on field work is expected and multidisciplinary experience maintaining facility mechanical (hydraulic and pneumatic power, compressors, pumps, etc.), electrical (motors), and control systems (PLC, instrumentation) is highly desirable.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering from an accredited engineering program plus 5 years progressive and relevant engineering experience with exposure to experimental design and implementation. Additional advanced degrees in mechanical or aerospace engineering can be substituted for engineering experience.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Master of Science degree or post‐graduate coursework in mechanical engineering from an accredited engineering program.
- Exposure to experimental design and implementation in a team environment.
- Solid aerodynamics background.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills, and confidence leading large multi‐disciplined test teams.
- Ability to develop a fundamental understanding of a wide variety of customer research requirements in order to guide the test approach.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at NFAC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.