Title: Mechanical Design Engineer - 2300
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required
THIS IS AN EXTERNAL POSTING ONLY, INTERNAL CANDIDATES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
NAS currently has an exciting opportunity available for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team in Tullahoma, TN. The position would support the conceptual, preliminary and detailed design of a new test facility for Arnold Air Force Base.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will have experience in compressible and incompressible flow, flow modeling, P&IDs and process flow diagrams, equipment sizing, ASME code calculations, writing Statements of Work and equipment specifications, and working with equipment vendors. This Engineer will independently perform complex design and analysis tasks, lead teams in development of designs, check design packages, lead design reviews, and mentor/oversee early career engineers.
Mechanical Design Engineers
design, evaluate, analyze, and assist in the fabrication and installation of hardware across the complex, including process piping systems, drive systems, mechanisms, and test hardware. Mechanical design engineers work closely with test and system engineers in development of design requirements and ensuring proposed designs meet those requirements. Close coordination with manufacturing is required to ensure economic designs.
Some specific tasks associated with this type of work include (this is not an exhaustive list
- Develop concepts for new piping systems and provide flow, flexibility, thermal, structural, or any other required analysis to support the proposed design.Evaluate the analysis results for suitability relative to applicable codes and standards.
- Serve as the design point of contact or lead designer on larger, more complex projects.Work with the project managers and project engineers to ensure that design input into cost, schedule, and other project-level decisions is accurate and complete.
- Provide guidance to and check the work of less experienced engineers.
- Work with the design team (drafters, checkers, etc.) to produce complete design packages, including detailed drawings, analysis reports, and equipment specifications, and be capable of communicating the details of these design packages to the remaining project team (system engineers, test engineers, project managers, craft supervisors, etc.)
- Develop procurement packages (specifications, statements of work, datasheets, etc.) and provide engineering guidance to support the procurement of pumps, valves, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, or other hardware necessary for the fabrication and installation of the proposed design.
- Coordinate with the appropriate system engineer, craft supervisor, and/or work planner to ensure that hardware is fabricated and installed in accordance with the approved design package.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in chemical or mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university plus 5 to 7 years of progressive and relevant experience in the design and analysis of mechanical or process systems.
- US Citizenship is required
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and construction methods and materials, and application of computer aided engineering (CAE)/computer aided design (CAD) tools to engineering problems.
- Experience with the design of complete piping systems including pumps, valves, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, and other related equipment.
- Experience performing flow and flexibility analysis of complete piping systems.
- Experience developing equipment specifications.
- Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Basic skill in oral and written communication.
- A minimum 5 years of experience in piping design ( ASME B31.3 process piping)
- Prior experience with Bechtel or large Engineering, procurement and construction projects with process fluids and infrastructure.
- Familiarity with turbine and rocket test cells, wind tunnels, space chambers, and/or arc heater facilities; or other industry product test facilities is desirable.
- Familiarity with Caesar II or other piping flexibility analysis software packages.
- Familiarity with Applied Flow Technology (AFT) Arrow, Fathom and Impulse or other flow modeling software packages.
- Familiarity with Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD software packages.