Title: Engineering Designer II – 2302
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Non Exempt
Grade: TN ET 5
US Citizenship Required
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground, and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
NAS currently has an exciting opportunity available for an Engineering Designer to join our team in Tullahoma, TN.
This Engineering Designer will independently perform complex design tasks, lead junior designers/drafters in development of drawings, check drawing packages, and mentor/oversee early career designers.
Performs non-routine and complex assignments involving responsibility for planning and conducting a complete project of relatively limited scope or a portion of a larger and more diverse project. Selects and adapts plans, techniques, designs, or layouts. Contacts personnel in related activities to resolve problems and coordinate the work. Reviews, analyzes, and integrates the technical work of others. Supervisor or professional engineer outlines objectives, requirements, and design approaches. Completed work is reviewed for technical adequacy and satisfaction of requirements. May train and be assisted by lower level drafters and designers.
Typical assignments may include:
- Generate 2D drawings or 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) design models of high complexity with minimal guidance from others.
- Work with design/system engineers and junior design/drafters to prepare CAD wiring diagrams, schematics, instrumentation detail drawings, installation drawing packages, and area plans in accordance with AEDC standards.
- Prepare Bill of Materials and assist in the purchase of materials needed for the installation.
- Meet with craft supervisors and planner/scheduler to go over designs to come up with estimates to preform work.
- Help identify potential safety issues and LOTO points for craft supervisors prior to installation.
- Prepare layouts, study drawings, detailed 2-D and 3-D Computer Aided Design (CAD) design and construction drawings.
- Monitor and check work for compliance with approved design standards to provide quality design, reliable/safe plant operation and construction economy.
- Prepare design and drafting procedures to standardize design effort.
- Coordinate or make jobsite visits, as required, to resolve problems and interpret drawings and documents.
- Review or define engineering scope changes, as required, for project management.
- Endorse or prepare reports of work progress, as required, for project and group use.
- Review and check design models, drawings and design documents prepared by other designers/drafters for quality, accuracy, neatness, functionality and satisfactory completion.
- Work with engineers and other designers in the overall assignment to coordinate designs.
- Develop work plans, budgets, and schedules for basic designer tasks based on input and direction from supervisor in designated group.
- Answer questions from client or construction group on design scope within assigned responsibility.
- Provide on-the-job training for less experienced drafters and designers.
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Vocational school training/certification comprising at least 2 semesters or two years of college with courses relevant to drafting and/or design plus nine years of extensive drawing and drafting experience.
- US Citizenship is required.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Sound knowledge of CAD design and drafting techniques, engineering drawing, graphic arts, reading of drawings and reproduction methods used by the group.
- Skilled in production of electrical and controls and instrumentation design deliverables
- Basic computer skills such as use of Microsoft Office products, file naming, and computer folder structures.
- Skill in reading, interpreting and using related documents and drawings prepared by other project groups.
- Knowledge of technical responsibilities of other groups associated with the total design effort.
- General knowledge of technical responsibilities of other groups associated with the total design effort.
- Experience working with construction and supporting installation activities
- Skill in directing the technical work of less experienced designers and/or drafters.
- Experience with Autodesk software, particularly AutoCAD
- Current or prior government security clearance
- Awareness of AEDC policies, procedures, and guides in regard to drawing production