Mechanical Craft Supervisor - NFAC
Moffett Field, CA
Department/Branch: Mission Execution/NFAC
Functional Branch: Operations and Maintenance
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Grade Level: 36
CURRENT TOS WAGE EMPLOYEES WILL BE GIVEN FIRST CONSIDERATION DURING THE POSTING PERIOD.
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test Operations and Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC) at Arnold Air Force Base in Tennessee and at the National Full-scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) at Moffett Field, CA. The NFAC provides the United States with the capability of performing ground-based aerodynamic and acoustic experiments at speeds from static to nearly 350 mph on large-scale and full-scale aerospace vehicles and components. This complex includes a 40- by 80-foot wind tunnel and an 80- by 120-foot wind tunnel.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground test and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
NAS is committed to partnering with the Air Force to ensure the long-term viability of AEDC while ensuring mission success, ultimately securing AEDC’s long-term future and world-class superiority in aerospace and ground testing.
An exciting career opportunity exists for a Craft Supervisor working with a team of mechanics and technicians who maintain and operate NFAC, the largest wind tunnel in the world.
The successful Craft Supervisor candidate will work independently to organize, direct and assign craft personnel to daily work assignments. Assist engineering department with facility maintenance and refurbishment project goals. Maintain facilities test equipment in support of testing and operations throughout the facility. Maintain craft training and certification required for operating the wind tunnel, facility rotorcraft testbeds and test support utilities. Provide safety oversight for craft workforce in the facility, ensure safety training is maintained and craft mechanics have the tools and work instructions necessary to perform the work safely and efficiently.
Specific duties include but not limited to:
- Supervise and direct a group of multi-disciplined mechanics at the NFAC to ensure work is executed properly and safely.
- Collaborate with engineers to develop work plans and resource requirements, develop and maintain daily and weekly crew schedules, assign and oversee the work.
- Track work progress to ensure work stays on schedule and within allocated estimates and ensure work executed is performed per applicable safety, engineering, housekeeping and environmental standards.
- Edit and update work orders for ease of comprehension and correctness
- Manage crew training schedules and ensure qualifications of the workforce are maintained.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of wind tunnel operations and facility Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Understand and ensure compliance with the union Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Responsible for timecard, vacation, and leave program administration for the group.
- Manage craft overtime (OT) process and maintain proper OT list differential IAW CBA.
- Manage conflict resolution among employees, counseling/disciplining wage personnel for performance issues and non-conformance of company policies and procedures.
- Facilitate team safety meetings, monitor craft housekeeping and safety practices while ensuring that the workplace is in compliance with all AEDC, NAS & OSHA standards.
- Participate in accident/incident investigations and assures that proactive steps are taken to prevent similar type accidents/incidents in the future.
- Focal point for day-to-day coordination of mechanic activities within the facility.
- Assist with procuring tooling and consumables.
- Interface with facility Reliability Engineer to optimize preventative maintenance and drive implementation of Reliability Centered Maintenance methodologies.
- Oversee skilled workers in safety procedures and proper use of tools and equipment.
- Insure that equipment is in safe operating condition.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing,working at heights, energy control, etc.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to safety manager.
- Monitor the Job Safety Analysis (JSA) process, review JSA quality, and provide JSA improvement feedback to mechanics.
- Monitor all field work assignments by craft employees to insure safety standards are being followed.
- Assist in recruiting, screening, selection, training, and evaluation of facility mechanics.
- Maintain accurate information for payroll reporting (time cards, tardiness, and absenteeism).
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university and 9 years of progressive experience in a related field or any combination of education and progressive and relevant experience totaling 14 years.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Knowledge of union employees and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Current U. S. Citizenship is required.
Additional Qualifications Preferred:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Willingness to drive change.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical prints and diagrams.
- Comprehensive knowledge of mechanical drive systems, hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Knowledge of hand tool use and other mechanical hand held devices.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience maintaining large complex machinery (hydraulics, pumps, compressors, motors, etc.)
- Understanding and experience implementing Reliability Centered Maintenance practices
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with MS Office suite and CMMS tools.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.