Title: Civil Structural Design Engineer – 2771
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
We are looking for a Civil Structural Design Engineer to join our team at Arnold Air Force base in Tennessee.
Civil Structural Design Engineers design, evaluate, analyze, and assist in the fabrication and installation of hardware across the complex, such has building structures, support structures, roofs, roadways, site work, ladders and platforms, as well as one-of-a-kind mechanisms, wind tunnel models, and test fixtures. The Engineer will have experience with reinforced concrete foundations, soils analysis and mechanics, retaining walls, structural steel, OSHA safety standards for platforms, stairs, and ladders, familiarity with International Building Code, and familiarity with American Concrete Institute codes and standards.
Some specific tasks associated with this type of work include (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Performs and checks analysis and design of components, systems, and facilities.
- Structural design and analysis of pipe supports, platforms, and other structural support members
- Develop concepts for basic hardware and provide structural/stress analysis to support the proposed design. Evaluate the analysis results for suitability relative to applicable codes and standards.
- Provide engineering support to the appropriate craft workforce to facilitate maintenance and repair of existing systems. Evaluate existing hardware for safety, security and potential for improvement.
- Work with the design team (drafters, checkers, etc.) to produce complete design packages, including detailed drawings, analysis reports, and equipment specifications, and be capable of communicating the details of these design packages to the remaining project team (system engineers, test engineers, project managers, craft supervisors, etc.)
- Coordinate with the appropriate system engineer, craft supervisor, and/or work planner to ensure that hardware is fabricated and installed in accordance with the approved design package.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in civil or mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 1 to 4 years of progressive and relevant experience in structural design engineering.
- Current United States citizenship is required.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Basic skill in oral and written communication.
- Experience in leading structural design activities and interfacing within a broader multiple discipline project team
- Thorough knowledge and application of the AISC, ASCE and IBC codes
- Proficient in the use of structural analysis software such as Multiframe or STAAD.pro
- Active Professional Engineer registration in TN.
- Holds an active security clearance or has held a prior security clearance