Title: ID&C Engineer - 2794
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required: Yes
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
Serve as the technical lead for planning and executing Instrumentation, Data Acquisition, and Control (ID&C) system efforts associated with activation, integrated system checkout, and commissioning for the new Hypersonic Test Facility being implemented at J5. The candidate selected for this role will coordinate with system engineers, design engineers, test operations engineers, project managers and skilled craftsmen in the planning and execution of system verification and validation tests required to complete integration, checkout, and commissioning of the ID&C systems required to establish Initial Operational Capability. Once the facility becomes operational, the role will transition into leading and executing ID&C test support for the J5 facility.
- Evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering methods, techniques, procedures and criteria, using independent judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- Lead, coordinate, and perform work, generally within Instrumentation, Data Acquisition, and Control System Engineering, involving the preparation, interpretation or review of calculations, specifications, plans, investigations, systems or equipment.
- Serve as the ID&C engineering technical lead and liaison between the TOS contractor test project team, test customer, and DoD client test support team.
- Organize and communicate test project information (e.g., scope of work, requirements documentation, drawings, and estimates) to test project team members.
- Coordinate execution of ID&C deliverables within the test team including system engineers, design engineers, test operations engineers, project managers and skilled craft crew.
- Report progress of ID&C related tasks both within the TOS contractor and DoD client teams
- Participate in one or more of the following:
- Interface with internal and/or external customers to ensure understanding of system and/or test requirements
- Develop system and subsystem requirements to meet test customer needs
- Lead and execute Instrumentation, Data Acquisition and Control system design, development, implementation maintenance, verification and validation, and/or test operations support
- Perform system and/or test configuration design, including conceptual and detailed sketches and layouts
- Review design documents of equipment manufacturers or subcontractors of a high degree of complexity, and prepare comments and recommendations
- Prepare specifications and design calculations
- Supervise the preparation of designs, drawings and data performed by junior engineers
- Prepare material quantity estimates for test and/or maintenance projects
- Uses engineering computer aided design/computer aided engineering (CAD/CAE) tools
- Respond when systems malfunction during a test. Lead troubleshooting and corrective maintenance activities (calling in the appropriate systems engineer for additional support as required), ensuring a timely return to service.
- Draft letters for replies to vendor correspondence.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Ability to obtain security clearance is a condition of employment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or other relevant engineering discipline from an accredited college or university plus a minimum of 5 to 7 years of progressive and experience in design engineering or other relevant engineering experience such as test operations or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.
- Current United States citizenship required.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
- Technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and construction methods and materials, and application of computer aided engineering (CAE)/computer aided design (CAD) tools to engineering problems.
- Continuous and progressive work experience in design or field engineering such as systems startup, commissioning, or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or other engineering/construction firms.
- Continuous and progressive experience with transducers, sensors, electrical circuits, signal processing, and data acquisition systems used to measure temperature, pressure, force, flow, acceleration, vibration, and other physical phenomena common to aerospace systems testing.
- Continuous and progressive experience in the control system theory and design concepts such as Controls Strategy and Algorithm Development, Math Modeling/Simulations, Calibration, Motion Controls, Process Controls, Process Instrumentation, Sequencing Systems, Stability & Control, Servomechanisms, Systems Safety, Networks & Field Busses, Control System Optimization, Learning and Rule-based Systems
- Strong communication skills (including verbal and written).
- Strong organizational skills.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.