Title: Mechanical Design Engineer - 2791A
Arnold AFB, TN
Hypersonics Investments Group
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
US Citizenship Required
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
Mechanical Design Engineers design, evaluate, analyze, and assist in the fabrication and installation of hardware across the complex. Mechanical design engineers work closely with test and system engineers in development of design requirements and ensuring proposed designs meet those requirements.
This Engineer may be focused on subset, or may support all, of the following types of tasks (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Develop concepts for new process systems to meet applicable codes and standards; providing hydraulic, thermal, stress or other analysis as needed to support the proposed design.
- Analyze static and dynamic loads, deflections, stress, heat transfer, thermal stress, or thermal growth in support of new component development and/or component or facility modifications.
- Serve as the design point of contact on projects. Work with the project managers and project engineers to ensure that design input into cost, schedule, and other project-level decisions is accurate and complete.
- Provide guidance to and check the work of less experienced engineers.
- Work with the design team (drafters, checkers, etc.) to produce complete design packages, including detailed drawings, analysis reports, and equipment specifications, and be capable of communicating the details of these design packages to the remaining project team (system engineers, test engineers, project managers, craft supervisors, etc.)
- Develop procurement packages (specifications, statements of work, datasheets, etc) and provide engineering guidance to support the procurement of pumps, valves, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, or other hardware necessary for the fabrication and installation of the proposed design.
- Review specifications, drawings, and vendor equipment documentation
- Coordinate with the appropriate system engineer, craft supervisor, and/or work planner to ensure that hardware is fabricated and installed in accordance with the approved design package.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in mechanical, aerospace, chemical, or nuclear engineering from an accredited college or university and 3 to 7 years of progressive and relevant experience.
- Current United States citizenship is required.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Active DoD Security Clearance
- Experience with the design of complete process systems including pumps, valves, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, or other related equipment.
- Experience developing procurement specifications for process hardware and systems.
- Experienced in application of discipline specific codes (i.e., ASME B31.3, B31.1, BPVC, Y14.5)
- Experienced user with discipline specific software packages (e.g., AFT, Ceasar II, ANSYS, Autodesk Inventor/AutoCAD/Plant 3D)
- Five years of experience in ASME B31.3 piping design.
- Prior experience with large Engineering, procurement and construction projects with process fluids and infrastructure.