Test and Evaluation Engineer - Tunnel 9 - 2945C
US Citizenship Required:
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC). National Aerospace Solutions is a limited liability company comprised of Bechtel National Inc. (as lead company) and Sierra Lobo Inc. with teaming Subcontractors nLogic Inc. and Chugach Federal Solutions Inc.
Work will be performed at the AEDC Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel No. 9 (Tunnel 9) located in Silver Spring, Maryland. Tunnel 9 provides aerodynamic simulation critical to hypersonic system development and hypersonic vehicle technologies at speeds from Mach 7 to Mach 18, a capability unmatched anywhere in the United States.
The Data Engineer will develop, maintain, and manage tools and data products, including custom and commercial computer software and codes, required for converting raw experimental data into engineering units acquired in the Tunnel 9 test facility. The ideal candidate will have or be able to obtain an understanding of aerospace engineering to provide assessment of test results including vehicle stability, flow-field features, boundary-layer state, and aero-heating environment.
This position, under the guidance and direction of an experienced engineer, will provide the following engineering services:
- Document, maintain, update, and troubleshoot custom computer codes and data reduction algorithms and procedures.
- Reduce raw data collected in the hypersonic wind tunnel to relevant engineering units using existing data reduction codes under the guidance of a Tunnel 9 test engineer.
- Complete a preliminary data reduction assessment to quickly identify computation problems, sensor calibration issues, and/or other obvious data issues. Types of information in the data reduction generally include pressure, temperature, heat transfer, force and moment (strain gauge balance), acceleration, flow field imaging, etc.
- Update/modify/port existing data reduction written in MATLAB to Python-based scripts.
- Develop test-specific custom data reduction algorithms as needed.
- Keep abreast of new algorithms, technologies, and/or numerical tools to help improve data processing efficiency, long term storage, and accuracy.
- Maintain a database of archived wind tunnel data.
- Evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering methods, techniques, procedures, and criteria using independent judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or Engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Current United States Citizenship is required.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
- Candidates with an M.S. degree or work experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience acquiring, reducing, and analyzing experimental data, including hands-on experience with data acquisition equipment, optical equipment such as cameras and lenses, and application of basic experimental techniques.
- Experience with supersonic/hypersonic wind tunnel testing, compressible and/or hypersonic flow theory, computational fluid dynamics, and/or finite element analyses of high-speed external flow applications is desirable.
- Knowledge Python, image processing or other related data collection/processing software.
- Familiarity with revision control software.
- Familiarity with Linux systems.
- Must be detail-oriented and a strong self-starter.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.