Title: Mechanical Engineering Group Supervisor-2951
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
Salary Range: $131,560-$162,785
US Citizenship Required
INTERNAL ONLY - NAS, LLC (Non-NAS, LLC candidates will not be considered)
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, LLC, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force’s Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC) via the Test Operations and Sustainment (TOS) contract. National Aerospace Solutions is a limited liability company comprised of Bechtel National Inc. (as lead company) and Sierra Lobo Inc. with teaming Subcontractors nLogic Inc. and Chugach Federal Solutions Inc. AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground test and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
The NFAC team performs large-scale, subsonic wind tunnel testing furthering research and development for a broad array of test customers across the academic, scientific, commercial, and military aerospace sectors. Testing supports development of new and innovative helicopter and rotorcraft technologies including future Urban Air Mobility applications, recurring Mars lander parachute qualification testing, improvements to fuel efficiency on full-scale tractor-trailer trucks, advanced fixed-wing aircraft applications (some with live jet engines), and many other exciting applications for the military and commercial sectors.
This position is a combination supervisor and technical engineer role. As a supervisor, the successful candidate will lead a group of mechanical engineers, reliability engineers, project managers and a configuration management group in test support, facility upgrades, and facility maintenance activities for the National Full-Scale Aerodynamic Complex. They will coordinate work assignments, track progress, and assess and manage risk related to facility engineering projects. They will assess facility needs and coordinate group resources to optimize efficiency and productivity and ensure clear goals and expectations are communicated and followed within the team. The supervisor will be a mentor to early career engineers and be a sounding board for addressing concerns and troubleshooting problems. In addition, the successful candidate will lead mechanical engineering projects in support of tests and facility upgrades, as time permits.
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and configuration management staff
- Facilitate proper development of requirements, schedules, budget estimates and statements of work for facility projects
- Set standards and expectations for project management discipline within the group
- Ensure project leaders develop and maintain system documentation and perform necessary configuration management
- Develop prioritized list of facility repair and refurbishment projects for upcoming fiscal year
- Assign engineering support to estimate labor and material costs for facility repair and refurbishment projects
- Prepare upcoming Fiscal Year workload plan and budget estimate for the group to feed the CARA plan
- Manage (forecast, track, report) the Mechanical Engineering Group annual budget
- Provide group resource loading plan and report DBA execution status to Government and NAS management
- Guide the maintenance and reliability program to ensure downtime causes are tracked and corrected, and facility reliability is optimized
- Manage facility Asset Condition Assessments for systems owned by the group
- Support troubleshooting and repair of facility assets as necessary
- Foster a strong safety culture amongst team members to sustain an injury- and incident-free workplace
- Develop process and procedure documentation as required
- Perform the role of engineering project lead on facility and test engineering projects, as directed
- Manage employee performance; follow the company’s PMP process to set goals, track progress, assess performance and engage with employees to review progress
- Work with functional managers to oversee employees’ professional development
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy
- Perform other related duties as required
- B.S. degree in engineering from an accredited college or university, and a minimum of 6 to 8 years of progressive and relevant work experience in design engineering, science or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants, or engineering/construction firms. Additional engineering education can be substituted for experience
- Master’s degree or post graduate coursework
- Advanced knowledge of and successfully demonstrated experience related to systems, calculations, equipment, applications of methods, materials, and computers in the mechanical engineering discipline
- Experience with engineering work planning and control methods
- Knowledge of AEDC Procedures, Work Instructions, appropriate Computer Applications, and administrative practices
- Application and coordination of 2-D and 3-D Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools on a project
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated skill in leadership
Due to Air Force Security requirements, a current U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.