Job Title: Safety and Health Professional II (Tunnel 9)
- Primary duties and responsibilities will be at the AEDC White Oak Site in Silver Spring, Maryland, working as a member of a small integrated team responsible for operating and maintaining the United State Air Force’s Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel No. 9 and Site infrastructure.
- Support and assist the operations and maintenance teams by managing and leading the staff on safety related processes, culture, and training.
- Assist in the integration of specialized safety and health requirements into the planning, permitting, design, and construction for both the facility and site.
- Interact with assigned management, participate in planning meetings, review and approve appropriate documents, work plans, hazard analyses, etc. to ensure safety is adequately and consistently addressed.
- Interpret specialized requirements, evaluate and apply specialized scientific principles, and formulate scope of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving the desired and unique/specific Tunnel 9 objectives as a safety and health professional.
- Provide programmatic support for and/or become a member of the trained volunteer White Oak Rescue Team, whose function is to provide timely confined space rescue operations and onsite emergency support.
- Support engineering and technician work in the field by assisting staff with safety issues, problem resolution, hazard identification, and workforce communication.
- Provide technical assistance to Tunnel 9 management and staff as the safety and quality lead.
- Conduct and document process and system audits, evaluate problems and make initial recommendations for possible corrective action as well as potential improvement opportunities.
- Implement and maintain the site Quality Plan tailored to Tunnel 9 and encompass all facets of the site operation.
- Support, plan and organize quality scope, ensuring site compliance in accordance with applicable Tunnel 9 plans, procedures and work instructions.
- Support the process of procuring and receiving materials and equipment to ensure quality and other standards are met per company and AF requirements.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a specialized scientific field (e.g., safety, industrial engineering, public health) or process/mechanical engineering and five years practical work experience in the discipline performing the responsibilities listed above.
- Knowledge in a safety specialty (e.g., Personal Protective Equipment, lockout/tagout, fall protection, excavation, People Based Safety) or engineering (e.g., civil, process safety, system safety, mechanical) or related disciplines of the principles and fundamentals of quality best practices tools and processes.
- Understanding of safety management, monitoring programs, principles, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of Maryland and OSHA safety and health laws and regulations and applicable agencies’ permitting processes and responsibilities, engineering, construction, and subcontract work processes.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.