Test Data Systems Engineer Supervisor
NASA Ames Research Center @ Moffett Field in Mountain View, California
National Aerospace Solutions is contracted by the United States Air Force to operate and maintain the world’s largest wind tunnel at NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA. The National Full-Scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) provides the United States with the capability of performing ground-based aerodynamic and acoustic experiments at speeds from static to nearly 350mph on large-scale and full-scale aerospace vehicles and components. This complex includes a 40 by 80 foot Wind Tunnel, a 80 by 120 foot Wind Tunnel and the Outdoor Aerodynamic Research Facility.
This is an engineering lead role that will supervise a group of approximately 8 Instrumentation and Software Engineers, Data System Technicians, and Data Analysts.
- Interface with test customers to establish test requirements for the instrumentation and data system working closely with Test Directors.
- Responsible to identify required data system improvements, and coordinate upgrade and checkouts activities.
- Oversee the analysis and verification of test data and subsequent data report generation.
- Develop and lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and data system support staff.
- Coordinate staff work assignments, track their progress and help eliminate roadblocks.
- Ensure Instrumentation Engineers develop and maintain system documentation and perform necessary configuration management.
- Coordinate activities to prepare and check-out instrumentation and data systems to support tests in the NFAC.
- Assess group needs and coordinate group resources to optimize efficiency and productivity. Assess and manage risks related to data system upgrade projects.
- Oversee Data System Group annual budget.
- Foster a strong safety culture amongst team members to sustain an injury and incident free workplace.
- Participate in and foster a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Be a sounding board for addressing concerns and troubleshooting problems.
- Develop process and procedure documentation as required.
- Ensure clear goals and expectations are communicated and followed within the team.
- Review performance and write annual reviews for staff.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering (or a closely related discipline) plus 12 years progressive and relevant experience.
- Post-graduate education in engineering or business management/administration will be helpful, but not required.
- The working environment is highly dynamic and will require managing several different projects simultaneously.
- Position requires demonstrated leadership ability as evidenced by prior work experience, including skills for directing and motivating a multidisciplinary staff of technicians and engineers.Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Good familiarity with general instrumentation equipment & practices standard to the instrumentation industry.
- Must have the ability to be technically conversant with experts in the fields of instrumentation, data acquisition, and process controls.
- Technical competence and at least 10 years’ practical experience in instrumentation or controls engineering in support of major test facilities or heavy industry.
- Working knowledge of safety, security, environmental and quality procedures and requirements for instrumentation systems.
- General knowledge of configuration management principles.
Due to Air Force Security requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required for employment at AEDC.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.