Title: Civil Engineering Designer III - 2482
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Non - Exempt
Grade: TN ET6
US Citizenship Required
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground, and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
NAS currently has an exciting career opportunity available for an experienced Civil Designer to join our team at Arnold Air Force base in Tennessee.
Independently plans and accomplishes complete projects or studies of broad scope and complexity, or serves as an expert in a narrow aspect of a particular field of design engineering. Complexity of assignments typically requires considerable creativity and judgment to devise approaches to accomplish work, resolve design and operational problems, and make decisions in situations where standard engineering methods, procedures, and techniques may not be applicable. Supervisor or professional engineer provides advice on unusual or controversial problems or policy matters.
Typical assignments may include:
- Generate 2D drawings or 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) design models of high complexity with minimal guidance from others.
- Prepare layouts, study drawings, detailed 2-D and 3-D Computer Aided Design (CAD) design models and construction drawings.
- Provide operational direction and technical guidance to subordinate designer and drafter personnel as directed.
- Establish and maintain communication with design and engineering supervisors in charge of related groups and with administrative personnel within the group or project.
- Consult with equipment suppliers, technical specialists and client representatives as directed to provide and receive technical information.
- Prepare or assist with the preparation of assigned material requisitions and bid evaluations.
- Monitor and check work for compliance with approved design standards to provide quality design, reliable/safe plant operation and construction economy.
- Support development of work plans and schedules for the assigned work including estimate of material quantities, design deliverables and staffing needs to meet the project milestones.
- Prepare design and drafting procedures to standardize design effort.
- Coordinate or make jobsite visits, as required, to resolve problems and interpret drawings and documents.
- Review or define engineering scope changes, as required, for project management.
- Endorse or prepare reports of work progress, as required, for project and group use.
- Review and check design models, drawings and design documents prepared by other designers/drafters for quality, accuracy, neatness, functionality and satisfactory completion.
- Provide on-the-job training for less experienced drafters and designers.
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Vocational school training/certification comprising at least 2 semesters or two years of college with courses relevant to drafting and/or design plus eleven years of relevant and progressive drawing and drafting experience.
- US Citizenship is required.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Experienced in producing designs of piping systems, utilities, roadways, and other infrastructure systems.
- Broad knowledge of design and drafting techniques, engineering drawing, graphic arts, reading of drawings and reproduction methods used by the group.
- Basic computer skills such as use of Microsoft Office products, file naming, and computer folder structures.
- Skill in reading, interpreting and using related documents and drawings prepared by other project groups.
- Knowledge of the application of engineering and construction materials related to Civil Engineering.
- Knowledge of the methods and procedures used for procurement, takeoffs and quality control of bulk materials applicable to the group.
- Good knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, design criteria and codes relevant to Civil Engineering.
- Knowledge of technical responsibilities of other groups associated with the total design effort.
- Knowledge of mathematical formulae, design calculations and computer applications used in the group.
- Skill in directing the technical work of less experienced designers and/or drafters.
- Experience with Autodesk software, particularly AutoCAD and Inventor
- Experience with 3D modeling
- Current or prior government security clearance