Title: Structural Design Engineer – 2844A
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Pay Type: Exempt
US Citizenship Required
This opportunity is being offered by National Aerospace Solutions, the team selected by the U.S. Air Force to conduct Test and Operations Sustainment at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee. AEDC operates more than 55 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units located in six states. Many of the complex's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere in the United States; some are unique in the world. AEDC is one of three installations which are part of the Air Force Test Center (AFTC), one of six subordinate commands of the Air Force Materiel Command organization and an important national resource.
AEDC’s mission is to conduct developmental test and evaluation for the Nation through modeling, simulation, ground and flight test. Execution of the mission requires a large team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals from multiple technical disciplines to effectively accomplish the objectives of our test customers.
We are looking for a Structural Engineer who is interested in working on a multi-disciplinary team responsible for designing a new hypersonic test facility, which will play a key role in hypersonic system development for the United States Department of Defense, at Arnold Air Force Base, TN. The Structural Engineer hired into this role will coordinate across multiple departments on the project, from concept to commissioning, for this new facility.
This Structural Design Engineer will work with a multi-discipline design team (including engineers, drafters, checkers, etc.) to originate design packages and review vendor provided conceptual and detailed design. This will include development of detailed drawings, analysis reports, and specifications, as well as communicating the details of these design packages to the remaining project team (engineers, construction, operations, etc.).
Under the guidance and direction of an experienced engineer, this engineer will independently perform straightforward design and analysis tasks, check design packages, participate in design reviews, and provide mentorship to earlier career engineers.
Some specific tasks associated with this type of work include (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Originate and check structural engineering deliverables, such as steel and concrete calculations, specifications, and material requisitions.
- Review and coordinate technical documents with/from other engineering disciplines, procurement, and construction.
- Prepare technical reports related to specific design issues.
- Manage specifically assigned project activities.
- Assist in constructability reviews.
- Act as a mentor or coach for subordinate engineers and designers.
- Review vendor design deliverables to ensure contract requirements are met.
- Prepare and/or assist in the preparation of cost estimates and quantity take-offs.
- Provide engineering support to the appropriate craft workforce mechanical to facilitate maintenance and repair of existing systems.
- It is a condition of employment to wear company issued PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in accordance with supervisory direction and company policy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.S. degree in civil or structural engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 1 to 3 years of progressive and relevant experience in structural design engineering.
- Current United States citizenship is required.
NAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Women/Veterans/Disabled (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with a physical or mental disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES to this address as they will not be considered for employment opportunities.
- Basic skill in oral and written communication.
- Experience in leading structural design activities and interfacing within a broader multiple discipline project team
- Thorough knowledge and application of the AISC, ASCE and IBC codes
- Proficient in the use of structural analysis software such as Multiframe or STAAD.pro
- Active Professional Engineer registration in TN.
- Holds an active security clearance or has held a prior security clearance